Friday, January 23, 2009

... you can never have enough batteries.

I made a decision a few years ago to separate my work and personal life – PC wise that is.

If you change jobs every so often it’s a major hassle if you don’t – moving email addresses, links, tools and the like. Also, many companies are sensitive about not using company equipment for ‘non business reasons’. Best way to manage this is separate out ‘Church and State’. That means two PCs - I can live with that.

Problem is, I am heading to Europe next week and I am trying to decide if I have to take four!

Let’s start with the basics – everyday stuff.

1. Work based AMD Turion based laptop

2. Personal MacBook Air

Both machines are OK and do their job. I should point out that the Air pre-dates my current employer and it runs OS X – all my video stuff is Mac and I live the iLife. They both fit well in my bag and security is easy at the airport.

Now on this trip I am taking with me a new HP dv2. That’s PC number three.

It’s the hot new thing and we want to show it off for HP. In due course I may replace the Air with a dv2 (as long as it has the right chip in it) and then go Windows all the way. I have many concerns with this – some of which may be resolved by Windows 7. Best case would be running OS X on the dv2 but I am thinking that’s not going to happen any time soon.

Three PCs through security maybe a little more challenging.

It’s also a heavy load but I have a great ‘flight-bag’ so I am willing to give that a go. Problem is someone gave me a mini-notebook to play with too.

Is this a PC too far?

The HP mini-notebook is cute and seems to work ok. Problem is the screen is so small not sure what I would use it for. Maybe as a movie player. It’s also XP, which I know makes lots of people happy, but I can’t be bothered to relearn XP networking – bad enough I have to use Vista’s.

Four PCs at airport security and TSA may think I am running an import/export business.

I will update the blog with my experiences.

Of course, if the upgrade to business class doesn’t come through, I may need 4 machines just to have enough battery life to make it to Munich. There is a theory that states in the economy section the movies are really going to suck.

3 comments:

  1. With all the gadgets I travel with, I run into the same problem. I usually end up packing and checking in half of the gadgets. Pack them deep into your bag. Then carry-on the rest.

    One question I do have is about iPhone. How do you deal with running out of batteries with that given it doesn't use replaceable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing most shocking about this isn't that your are traveling economy class and waiting for an upgrade, isn't that you've got four PC's to take, it's that you think that its only a theory that the movies in economy are really going to suck.

    What you really want if you are going to take this much equipment, is one of those professional aluminum cases with the special cut foam inserts - I've seen professional photographers and camera men with them as "carry-on" all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the aluminum cases idea. will feel like a professional killer.

    ReplyDelete