Tuesday, February 17, 2009

.… Alex should take a H-I-T.

Today A-Rod meets the press in Tampa for what I expect is going to be a long day. In case he needs it, here is my advice. Take a H-I-T and don’t mean from Phelps’s bong – although from what people have told me it might help him relax.

A couple of times in my work life I have been in companies and situations where things were tough. They were embarrassing and messy. Pride is often a good thing but as we know, it comes before a fall. Some marketing managers and less experienced PR people tend to want to ‘sugar-coat’ the story and use ‘weasel words’ to try and find a way through the mess.

Don’t do it.

It always comes back double (at least). For me, I always suggest H-I-T.

For me H-I-T stands for Honesty-Integrity- Transparency and it’s my advice on how to handle his press conference this afternoon. It sounds like ‘tough love’ and it is. He will not like it but if he wants this thing to end anytime soon, he should follow these rules.

With one exception.

Don’t confuse the transparency with blaming others. Offer what proof you have of your innocence and if you have none for your past, offer it for your future. I wouldn’t say ‘trust me’ (that’s one that can come back to bite!) but you can offer to be tested and publish results.

Unless of course he is still cheating, in which case, there is a theory that states … nothing can save him but his millions.

No comments:

Post a Comment